Translate

Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Bike Ride



If you’d have to hike through the Swiss Alps, wouldn’t you agree that it would be far easier, less dangerous, and more fulfilling to have an experienced guide lead you? After all, you would be shown features that you would normally miss and you would be warned about and coached through difficult parts of your journey.

Many times, it’s wiser and faster to learn from the experiences of others. God never wants you to waste your mistakes and hurts. He wants you to use them to help others. When you see others go down a path you personally know is a dead end, speak up! It’s the loving thing to do.

For example, even if you’re not a parent, kids need you in their lives, and you need them! Kids teach us to think of others and be less self-centered. You will teach them, but they will also teach you in many ways. For instance, you can teach them self-control and they can teach you spontaneity and creativity. Right now, are there any children in your life that you are helping?

This reminds me of a story I heard a pastor, share many years ago, titled “The Bike Ride”:

Years ago I stumbled across this little parable called “The Bike Ride.”  I’ve never been able to track down its author. Over the years, whenever I find my faith wavering or begin having trouble trusting where God is taking me, I always think of this story.

At first I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong so as to know whether or not I merited heaven or hell when I died. He was out there sort of as a President. I recognized his picture when I saw it, but I really didn’t know him.

But later on when I met Christ, it seemed that life was rather like a bike-ride, but it was a tandem bike ride.  And I noticed that Christ was in the back helping me to peddle. I don’t know just how it was that he suggested that we change places (he in the front and me in the back), but life has never been the same since.

When I had control I knew the way.  It was rather boring, but it was always predictable. It was the shortest distance between two points.  But when he took the lead, he knew delightful long-cuts, up  mountains, through rocky places, at break neck speeds.  It was all that I could do to hang on, and even though it looked like madness he would simply say, “Just peddle.”  I was worried and anxious so I asked, “Where are you taking me?” He laughed and didn’t answer, and that’s when I learned that I was going to have to trust him.

I forgot my boring life and started to embrace every adventure.  And when I’d say I was scared, he’d lean back and just touch my hand.  He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance, and joy.  He gave me gifts to take on my journey, and off we were again.  He would then typically say, “Give the gifts away’ they’re extra baggage, too much weight.”

And so I did.  I would give to people we’d know and sometimes to people we’d  just meet, and I found that in giving, I received, and the journey continued and our burden was light.  I did not trust him at first to take control of my life; I thought he’d wreck it, but he know bike secrets.  He know how to make those sharp turns, and how to jump to clear high rocks, and do things I could never have done had I remained in control.

And I’m learning to just be quiet and peddle in the strangest of places.  I’m beginning to enjoy the various views and the different environments with my delightful companion.

And when I’m not sure I can do it anymore, he just smiles and says, “Just peddle my friend, just peddle.”

If you’d receive Jesus’ invitation, Could you honestly say, "I'll ride with you?"

What are your thoughts?  Let’s discuss. Thank you for your comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment